POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : cutting irregular holes?! : cutting irregular holes?! Server Time
30 Jul 2024 06:20:42 EDT (-0400)
  cutting irregular holes?!
From: frozen
Date: 14 Sep 2004 03:30:00
Message: <web.41469d9a89bd8e201f09a3bc0@news.povray.org>
Hi!

I'm quite new to 3d rendering, although I tried POVRay and other programs
from time to time during the last years. Now I want to create an image,
which is worth being send to IRTC. I suppose, I'm not good enough, since
even simple tasks turn out to be very complicated for me.. I hope, you can
help me with some hints...

First I should mention, that I use Moray a lot. So if it is possible,
pleeeaaaase (!) give hints, that work with this program! ;-)

But now on to my question:

I try to build a medieval building using a photo of a real castle as
reference. Right now I'm stuck at "cutting" the windows into it. I used a
large box for the building itself. Now I need to cut the windows into it,
and so I thought I could use a difference CSG. But the windows have a
shape, which is different from a box or sphere or anything like this. They
somehow look like a box in the lower part with two archs building the upper
part. Using a CSG to cut a box-shaped window is no problem. But what kind
of shape can be used to build the desired arched window AND is usable in a
CSG? Using a mesh for example leads to an parsing error, since meshes
aren't allowed in CSGs.

Thanks for your help!

frozen